Saturday, April 3, 2010

Garden Whirligig On Padre Island

My Brother Bryan Alexander made this cool garden whirligig for Patti & I. For those of you that know Bryan he builds things to last. Bryan is a talented ornamental iron worker and specializes in ornamental iron fencing. Bryan has his own machine shop with all the equipment he needs to create and build almost anything.


Bry made this garden whirligig out of stainless steel and the fan blades are made out of copper. The garden whirligig stands about 12 feet tall in total. 8 feet above ground and 4 feet underground. Digging a 4 foot hole was joyful. Then I pored 120 lbs of concrete ready mix to plant the whirligig for good. This has got to be the best ever of all garden whirligigs!

Thanks A Bunch Bob!

6 comments:

Sue Shaw said...

Happy Easter to you both too!

That is pretty ingenious. I want one! You are right, Bry does make things to last. A couple years ago, I had Bry make me an all iron mail box because we had several dry ice bombs kill our other mailboxes. This is because of our Booting Co. Sometimes those that get booted find out where we live. I’m not sure how though. Sooooo.. I drove down to Bry’s house and had him make me one that would survive dry ice bombs. It is the thickest iron mailbox I’ve seen. J After we set it up, we had a disgruntled employee put a dry ice bomb in it about a year ago and nothing happened to it. The funny thing is, if he stayed around in front of it he could of gotten hurt. The bomb just blows the door open and explodes outward. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Love you guys!

Sue

Travis Alexander said...

Cool. Thanks for sharing. That thing will be there for the next few hurricane force winds you get down there. 4 ft. hole and 120 lbs. of concrete? Nice!!!

Happy Easter!

Trav

julie said...

that is really cool. very talented. Happy Easter

Mike Alexander said...

I watched this thing get built out in the shop. You know Bryan (dad to me) loves working on projects like this, he has a blast working out there in his Man Cave.

Kara & Jacob Maughan said...

That is the coolest thing ever! Uncle Bry is one of the most talented guys I know for sure :) Thanks for sharing!!

Mike Alexander said...

don't forget to check out Suzanne and I's blog. mikeandsuza.blogspot.com